Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Mama Chair


Mom & Daddy moved to their first home when I was not quite 2, just before my sister was born. As they were shopping for furnishings, Mom saw the carpeting she wanted from across the store. They also bought a greenish-bluish couch and matching square armchair (Daddy's chair) and a nice snuggly dark rose upholstered chair for Mom.

Over the years, her little chair has made some changes. The rose upholstery with the woven swirled pattern was replaced with gold velveteen, and Mom attached ball casters on the front to make the chair easier to move. When she went to live with Heavenly Father, her little cuddly chair came to stay at our house, and we have enjoyed it so much over the years! It became my favorite place to nurse my younger children, and read to any of the others, unless there were too many of us to fit!

Sometime ago, I took Mom's chair to an upholstery class and fitted it out with papricka-colored $20/yard fabric that was to last 20 years.

Enter the present day: Wayne & I are getting to the point that we need to have furniture that makes our knees higher than our bums when we sit down, or we have troubles getting up and out. So this past summer, we purchased a new couch and loveseat, and because Mom's little chair seemed very low, I worried we might have to replace it. Just the idea of not having it around any more made me sad, but gratefully, there was nothing in the furniture stores that we liked. We rearranged the living room and brought Mom's chair to the opposite end of the room, and it looked cute and homey there, only problem now being its height.
Wayne, the Hero, came home this week with some new legs for Mom's chair, and the other day he turned it upside down and fixed it, just in time for Thanksgiving. He is so smart, knowing how to do things! I am so excited and happy, looking forward to many more years with Mom's snuggly, cuddly, as-old-as-I-am chair to enjoy!!

I am so glad!

2 comments:

Joanie said...

I love this "Mama-Bear" chair story! So many happy memories with Mama's chair. You know it is my favorite when I come to visit. It looks wonderful with its new "knee-replacements"!

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

I'm so glad you still have this chair! I didn't realize that it was still around. I'm so glad it is!!!!